Tahen'ishte ((Preservation from Umbral GuildPortal))

((For all those RPs and stories that need a home... NOTE: This is an IC forum. VISIBILITY: Public))
Vivimord
Warlord
Warlord

Tahen'ishte ((Preservation from Umbral GuildPortal))

Post by Vivimord » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:06 am

((Originally posted by Bladebreaker.))

Another piece, written as I was pondering a name change coming with Blade's transformation. End of the day, I may choose instead to change Blade's name and rename my new pally Bladebreaker. But still, this is an origin story of sorts, for how Blade 'earned' his name. This is part of his past that I've had in my head since I first rolled him, but that I don't think I've ever brought out in game.

-------------------------------------
The Last Hours of Prokus

“Tahen’ishte” said a voice from beside Logrip’s hammock. There was a great clattering noise, as of several pieces of metal being tossed on the ground. It was quite disturbing.

Logrip sat up from the hammock; slowly, so as not to appear surprised or alarmed. He surveyed the room. Kneeling directly before him was a young tauren, the one with a red hide and forward-pointing black horns. Kayne, that was his name. To his left, leaning against the wall, was a troll woman with pale blue skin. A new hire, a cutthroat named Mellajul. And of course, to the right, wringing his hands and looking distressed, was Prokus. Poor, stupid Prokus.

Logrip looked down at his feet. A sword, broken into several pieces, lay there; presumably the reason for the racket. “What’s this, then?” he did his best to sound unconcerned.

“Tahen’ishte” said the tauren.

“Boss!” squeaked Prokus. “I try to stop him! I say ‘No way! Y-you no go in when boss is sleepin’ but he just keep goin’ in!”

“I’m sure you did your best, Prokus,” Logrip fought to keep the sneer from his lips. Prokus would have been good for nothing but chopping wood in the old days, but new recruits were hard to find in Thrall’s domain. The moronic orc was fairly strong, though, and had a certain heart-warming love of violence. Perhaps some trace of the old blood still lingered in him; at the very least, he was useful. “So, what seems to be the problem?”

“Tahen’ishte” the tauren repeated.

Logrip turned to the troll. “Any insight as to why he keeps saying this nonsense? What happened to his sword?”

Mellajul spoke up from her casual repose against the wall. “Look like ‘e broke it na,” she volunteered with a smile.

“That is obvious,” Logrip growled. “How and why is his sword broken? That was a good blade, and cost us. It will have to be repaid.”

“Well,” the troll said with a grin in her voice. “Ah tink ‘e step on it. A few times na.”

“Tahen’ishte” said the tauren again.

Logrip stared at Kayne’s downturned head. He had first found the tauren wandering the streets, wide-eyed and looking confused. He had taken Kayne in, told him stories of how their work of shaking down merchants for money was for the greater good of Orgrimmar. He had explained how those who had not paid their fees were enemies of Thrall and must be punished. And Kayne had performed marvelously, exacting terrible damage on those Logrip had marked as targets.

“Any idea what that word means, then?” he asked, looking between Prokus and Mel’lajul. Prokus quivered and shook his head.

“It mean sometin’ be busted,” Mellajul said. “Dat what I unahstan’ from da bit ah Taurahe ‘e teach Mella.”

“Well that’s rather obvious, I’d say. Why does he keep repeating it? Has he been struck in the head? “ Logrip felt back his rising irritation at the troll's tone. Calm would win the day, he knew this from hard experience. It had served him well in establishing his budding syndicate in Orgrimmar's back streets.

“Ah expec’ so. He don’ like ta wear da helmet, joo know.”

Kayne stood up suddenly. Logrip felt his rage seep out as he was reminded of just how tall the tauren was. He would have to be careful.

“Tahen’ishte” Kayne spoke slowly, with clear enunciation. “It is a word my people use to speak of a tool that has been broken. Become useless. No longer fit for the work it once did.”

“As you did with this sword?” Logrip asked coldly. “Why did you break it? What were you thinking?”

“I was not thinking,” Kayne replied. “It needed to be broken.”

“Why? What possible reason would you have for destroying a perfectly good weapon?”

“Why was it necessary to kill the old orc?” Kayne asked, again with that nearly perfect enunciation.

“He did not pay his dues, and he was warned,” Logrip snarled. “More than once. He knew the consequences of ignor—wait, I’ll not answer to you. You don’t ask the questions here, tauren. I do. Did you do the job, at least, before you threw your little tantrum?”

Kayne stared at him silently for a moment, and then nodded once. Logrip looked down at the broken sword again, and this time he noticed the caked blood along its edge. He smiled grimly.

“At least there’s that. You won’t get your pay for this week. We’ll start calling you ‘Bladebreaker’ now, eh?” Logrip snorted a laugh. Prokus guffawed and stared admiringly at him. Simpering idiot.

“No need. Tahen’ishte. I will not do this kind of work again.”

Logrip laughed again. “And who will you work with then, eh? What will you do? Don’t be an idiot. You’re good at this, ‘Bladebreaker’. Don’t turn your back on the one skill you actually have.”

Kayne’s brow furrowed. “How many have been like this? Have they all been poor folk who were simply trying to run little shops? Have none been true enemies of Orgrimmar?”

“Where did you get the idea that he was an innocent, eh? Don’t over-think this, Kayne.” Logrip smiled smugly. He felt confident he could talk the tauren back into his service.

Mellajul spoke up from the corner. “Ol’ fella, ‘e had company na. Daughta find us, jus’ aftah.”

“Oh, is that so? And I suppose she told you some lies about her father, then?”

“She told us about her father, yes,” Kayne said. “Told us about how you knocked on his door and told him to pay or he would be killed. Told us that you’ve done the same to all the shops along the valley.”

“And why would you believe her, someone you hardly know, over me, someone who has sheltered you these many months? She would say anything to protect her father. She was a thief too! Don’t be taken in by scoundrels, Kayne.”

“I had my reasons to believe her,” Kayne seemed suddenly muted. He looked down at the ground as he spoke, no longer staring into Logrip’s eyes with that terrifying defiance. Logrip looked over at Mellajul, questioningly.

“She tol’ us jus’ befo’ she die” Mel’lajul said, examining her nails casually. “Big fella, he take dat pretty serious na.”

Logrip guffawed. “Ha! You killed her too? Perfect! No one will dare skip payments now.” He smiled, feeling triumphant, and turned to look around the room for something to drink in celebration. “You’re a natural, 'Bladebreaker'. Don’t worry about the why, that's my job. Just keep doing what you do best, cracking hea—“

The world turned upside down. Logrip felt himself slam against a flat surface; part of his brain screamed at him that he had hit the ceiling, but then moments later he was hurtling toward the ground again. He struggled to get to his feet, reaching for the dagger in his boot as he did so, but then something flat and hard pressed against his head and forced him down the ground. And then, such weight, such terrible weight! He screamed.

Just as suddenly, the weight was gone. He tried to scramble to his feet, clawing at his boot again; as he staggered he collided with his hammock and fell in a tangle. Then Prokus was over him, helping him up. Kayne was stretched out on the ground, face down, with Mellajul standing over him.

“Joo okay, boss? Big fella stan’ on ya head fa a bit.”

“F-fine, I’m fine!” he pushed Prokus away, but then had to steady himself on the wall. “Did you kill him, then?”

“Na, jus’ conk ‘im one. Well, a few conks na, ‘e’s tough.”

“Well, allow me to finish the job,” Logrip snarled, stepping forward.

“Mmmm, na so sure joo wanna do dat, boss,” Mellajul said, drawing her words out slowly and, most notably, not stepping out of his way. “Cow folk, dey bleed a lotta blood. Kill ‘im here, dat make a big mess.”

Logrip stared at her. This situation had clearly gotten far out of hand. He had to back off, rethink things a bit.

“Fine,” he said. “You and Prokus, you drag him out and find a quiet corner, and slit his cursed throat.” He stared at Mellajul until she nodded. She started turning the tauren over, grabbing him under the arms.

Prokus started toward Mellajul and Kayne, but Logrip grabbed his arm and pulled him aside. “After you do 'Bladebreaker' there,” Logrip whispered, “Take care of her too. Have your way first if you want, but there had better be another body besides the tauren’s in that alleyway when you’re done."

Prokus nodded, a stupid smile spreading across his face. Logrip let the orc go, and sat down heavily on his hammock. He rubbed the back of his head as he watched them maneuver the tauren out into the dark street. “So hard to get good help these days,” he muttered, and stretched back out on his hammock to rest.
1 x

Bregdark
General
General

Re: Tahen'ishte ((Preservation from Umbral GuildPortal))

Post by Bregdark » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:32 pm

((Was there ever a part two to this, BB?))
0 x

Bladebreaker
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Bladebreaker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:03 pm

((Nope! It was a standalone, an origin story for his name. He adopted it as a private badge of shame.

It's a funny thing when you come up with a bit of RP backstory and then discover that the character you've made would never actually tell anyone about that part of their backstory.))
0 x

Bregdark
General
General

Post by Bregdark » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:51 pm

((I love how you actually know what happens next only from the title of the story. Plus, of course, the fact that we journey alongside Kayne even now.))
0 x