Eavesdropping ((Preservation from Umbral GuildPortal))

((For all those RPs and stories that need a home... NOTE: This is an IC forum. VISIBILITY: Public))
Vivimord
Warlord
Warlord

Eavesdropping ((Preservation from Umbral GuildPortal))

Post by Vivimord » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:11 am

((Originally posted by Honnete.))

{{This is something I posted on Feathermap for a RP that Bricu started}}

“Stupid, incompetent, feckless idiots!” Vonka slammed the door open so hard it bounced against the wall.

“Mistress was looking for those stone tablets which have secrets of the mogu,” Dagnar whispered to Tangmoth. “But the others kept doing …well, stuff that didn’t help. They let Lady Sylvanas be hurt, the time they weren’t busy killing themselves in pools of poison or fire or whatever.”

Tangmoth soothed. “Mistress? Time for a rest in the sun, and perhaps a strong drink. I have a chair already prepared at the beach, and the drink will only be a moment.”

Vonka’s hands were in her hair, pulling. A bad idea, since the hair was less than firmly attached. Dagnar bounced up to try to prevent her, grabbing one hand and using that to pull her towards the chair on the beach. Just outside town, plenty of conversations going on for demons to listen to. And perhaps he could run and get the fishing pole once she’d had a drink. He did love freshly caught fish, and Mistress was an accomplished angler.

The chair was comfortable, the sun soothing, and the drink suitably strong as well as fruity. Tangmoth had been taking lessons in bartending, apparently. He’d have had plenty of time with her away so often looking for stone tablets…no! That would only end up with her being angry again, and there was no future in that. She started to try to distract herself by listening to the conversations in the market.

“So I heard there was this shiny-suit in Stormwind got hisself accused of heresy. Can you believe it?” A loud goblin voice, but not one she recognised. She did recognise the responding voice though. Dirge Quickcleave, it had to be. “What’s that to us here? No profit in it.”

What? She couldn’t believe it! A ‘shiny-suit’ – could that be a paladin? Could it be Grigori? Now that would be just too delicious an irony for words. But even if not, perhaps it would be someone Grigori knew, or cared about. And anyway, paladins were all the same. Sanctimonious prigs, more interested in their own importance than anything or anyone else. She had to hear more! “Dagnar!” she snapped. Imps could listen in where larger creatures couldn’t. “Follow the greenskin who was talking to the greenskin cook. Find out his name, and where he’s staying. And listen to anything more he says about shiny suits and Stormwind.”
0 x

Vivimord
Warlord
Warlord

Re: Eavesdropping ((Preservation from Umbral GuildPortal))

Dagum Spalling was a fine figure of a goblin, or at least he thought so. A prosperous importer-exporter. Someone who rated a bodyguard. Who had security when he stayed at an inn. So how had he ended up like this?

He’d had a dream of terror and woken to find that his heart was beating just as fast and fluttery as it had in the dream. And a Figure was looming over his bed. He drew a breath to call for his bodyguard - for anyone! - but the point of a sharp claw pricked his throat and he froze. The Figure spoke – a gravelly, female voice. “Stay still or that claw’ll cut your throat. Now. I have an…. interest in some information you were sharing around the town earlier. About the ‘shiny-suit’, I believe you called him, who is in trouble with the authorities. Tell me as much as you know, and no harm will come to you. You may even end up with some gold.” A small bag clinked invitingly.

Dagum thought furiously. He didn’t actually know any more than he’d told people, he’d just picked up a juicy bit of gossip from a friend of a friend in Booty Bay. But should he tell her that? The claw went in a little deeper, drawing blood, and that decided him. Honesty it was. Perhaps he could wring some cash out of it somehow.

“I swear, ma’am, that’s all I know. A friend of mine in Booty Bay had it from one of her customers. Very funny, she thought, so she told me and I passed it on.”

“I have an interest in this. You will find out more, and you will be paid well for finding out the name - and what exactly the humans think of as heresy.” The clinking bag was deposited by the bed. “There’s a hundred gold there, and you’ll get as much again for more information. More if the information’s good. You can send it to the innkeeper here, he’ll hold it for one of my servants to pick up.”

“Oh, and I wouldn’t plan to make anything up, or cheat Mistress,” a small voice hissed near his ear.

A burst of shadow flame slapped Dagum in the face, dazing him. When he came to, there was no one in his room. Only a small trickle of blood from his throat, and a heavy bag of gold on the floor next to the bed.
0 x

Vivimord
Warlord
Warlord

The goblin had come through, after all. She sent Dagnar to leave another bag of gold with the innkeeper for the goblin. She might have need of him again.

The paladin in question was named Bricu Bittertongue, and he was married with two daughters.

Heresy, according to the humans, was speaking against the Light or the Church, or consorting with demons. Interesting! If it had been Grigori, she could just have made sure the inquisitors knew he had a wife who commanded demons – well, ex-wife now, she supposed. But this would require something more. She could hardly say that she was this Bricu’s wife.

Consorting with demons, now that was promising. Perhaps she could get Syevere to pose as a nanny and offer to look after the children. Then Syevere could seduce the paladin…. She sighed. Although that might work with some demons, her succubus was too stupid and too greedy to make it work. Syevere would just get straight into seduction, without ever bothering with the disguise, and probably wouldn’t even get past the front gates of Stormwind. If the paladin came out of Stormwind regularly, then she could try sending in Syevere. After all, paladins were all the same. Preaching and prating about Light, and ready to chase a pretty woman as soon as she looked twice at him, married or not.

So she needed another plan.
0 x

Vivimord
Warlord
Warlord

{{The next part}}

Once again, Vonka lay on her recliner at the beach, sipping her drink and thinking furiously. Another plan! But her brain was barren of ideas.

Then a Forsaken rogue trotted over. Vonka had been vaguely aware of a volleyball game earlier, and the rogue was dressed for that. Presumably she’d been playing. The woman snapped out a towel next to Vonka’s chair and sat down. "Come for the drinks and stay for the sights, sister?"

"I live here." Vonka’s reply was stiff. She didn’t really want to enter into conversation with a stranger, even if she were decently Forsaken.

"Here?" the stranger asked, flicking her finger back and forth as if to encompass the entirety of the beach and all the folk there. "I'd think living here you'd have a better tan. Fels, I'm pretty sure with this sun I'll drop a few shades from today alone." She grinned.

"Here, yes, though not on this beach. And I have been busy elsewhere lately." Clearly the rogue is staying for a while. Vonka snaps her fingers for Dagnar. "A drink for the lady, Dagnar, and another for me."

The rogue beamed at the chance of a potential drink, the thrill of victory still fresh on her. "Busy is good, busy keeps us moving. A summoned minion, well under control and a keen air of reserve. All the hallmarks of a professional. I was thinking of investing in a little hideaway here. Work, as I'm sure we lament when the little umbrella drinks arrive, keeps us from enjoying the simple little things like a day without conflict."

Vonka sighed slightly, inwardly. The rogue is just too enthusiastic. If she's like this ALL the time she'll be an exhausting neighbour. Still, she is decently undead, not one of those damn greenskins or beef or long-ears. So it behooves Vonka to be polite.

"A hide away? I think you might need to ask the innkeeper, he knows all the abandoned buildings around. Unless you want to buy one from a goblin." She shudders slightly. "And I suppose if we may be neighbours, introductions are in order. I am Natasha Vonklaussen, or was. I am known as Vonka now."

"I wouldn't mind a bit of a fixer upper, but sometimes you just want to get the end results without all the dirt and grime that come before. Goblins can be shifty little buggers, but like everything else, a bit of applied leverage in the right places makes everything move smoothly." The rogue bobbed her head. "Quite the name. My name is Willa Smith, pleased to meet you, and can call me what you like," she replied. "For example, if you know where they live, goblins tend to pay a bit more attention to things like the truth."

"Ah, but fixing it up means you can put in whatever you need." At this point Dagnar returned with the drinks, and handed one to each of the ladies. He giggled wickedly when he hears what Vonka just said. "Like the...oooh, don't hit me, Mistress!" "Discretion, Dagnar!" she snapped, pulling the imp into her lap and knuckling his head. "And this is Dagnar, Willa."
Willa sat up a bit, tucking her legs into a folded lotus position, her pose easy and at rest. She lifted the glass to the imp and returned its smile. "Thank you for the drink Dagnar. Your mistress does bring up a good point, doing it yourself does allow you to put in all the little touches that make a place so much more like home." She took a sip, enjoying the heavy mix of fruit and rum. "Mmm, so you can summon demonic bar tenders or did he learn this along the way?"

"Tangmoth seems to have had far too much time on his hands lately. He has learned to make drinks. He doesn't like coming out in the sun, though, and frankly the citizens here prefer not to have him around. Whereas Dagnar is a social little imp. Aren't you?" Vonka says to Dagnar in that tone that people use for small children and pets.

Willa looked over at the grinning imp, waggling her fingers at it while her drink gets lower. "Such distaste for our short green friends and their building practices. They're actually fairly predictable in that aspect."

Vonka snorted. "Predictable, and not exactly decorative." She thought for a moment, then conceded. "Well, some of their buildings are practical for the climate."

Willa nodded, reaching out to scritch the little imp on his tufted head. "Practical is a long shot with them. I've had to get into and out of a few tight places when it comes to the little buggers’ compounds. That tacky decoration theme tends to stick with them, right down to painting 'super death cannon' on the security systems."

Vonka scritched Dagnar too, absently. She is thinking furiously. The rogue could be useful, perhaps.... Best just to ask. "You are practiced at getting ..information, then?"

"I am, it pays the bills," Willa nodded as her drink emptied. She gave a pleased sigh at the taste.

Vonka came to a decision. "Well, then. I am in need of finding some information, and I have money. Perhaps we can come to some arrangement?"

"I do like money, and I do like these drinks." Willa gave a small pout, looking back to the beach for a moment. "Come for the volleyball, stay for the employment. Seems neither of us can leave work behind. Send your little horned bounder out for another round and tell me all about it."

"Dagnar, get us some more drinks, please," she pats the imp fondly and sends him off. Then Vonka leaned closer to Willa, looking around to make sure they aren't overheard. "It seems that there is a paladin in Stormwind who has been charged with heresy by the Silver Hand. I have an interest - don't ask me why! - in seeing that he is found guilty. Sooooo..... I need to find evidence that he is guilty. Or perhaps..." she stops, not willing to talk yet about manufacturing evidence.

Willa tossed her hair and nodded at the information. "Paladin in need of a fall. It's a rather mundane tale, and one from Stormwind no less. I find that if you just spend a night outside the cat houses more often than not you find all the evidence you need. The way you lingered there at the end, kinda makes me think you want this evidence to appear one way or another."

"I imagine that the Silver Hand can easily find information from Stormwind cathouses." Vonka thought for another few minutes. “And...yes, you are right. I want to damage the paladin, and I want to damage the Order of the Silver Hand. Unless the paladin truly IS guilty of heresy, having him found guilty will weaken the Order. Self-satisfied prigs, the lot of them."

"That's a good way of putting it all into perspective. So for a fee, I am supposed to tail the man or perhaps just learn about him and see to whipping up something believable. Is there someone who might know a bit more about him?"

“He is named Bricu Bittertongue, married with two children. Further than that my goblin informant has given me little, only information about heresy."

"Married with kids. Those types usually have more than a few skeletons in their closets. More so if they are the adventuring type. Long roads make for long stories."

"Yes, indeed."

“I wonder,” Willa was thinking aloud. “Could evidence be found as say something he was trying to hide but was in the process of destroying? So say he was dealing in contraband, trollish mojo and the like. Have that storage or stash get found out as it’s set on fire. Sifting through the ashes leads to evidence of Bricu.”

“Yes!” Vonka enthused. “That’s brilliant. And….how about some issues of PlayDemon too? Just to suggest trafficking in demons. I’m sure Tangmoth can provide you with some copies.”

And all that was needed from there was an agreement on the price.

It hadn’t been hard to get the crates into Stormwind after all. Vonka had given Willa a portal stone, which summoned Dagnar. The imp was far stronger than he looked, and could easily transport crates through the portal. He was also very good at setting a fire to exact instructions. In fact, he would have made the perfect sidekick if not for a tendency to pinch Willa’s bottom and leer at her while making suggestive remarks.
0 x

Vivimord
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Vivimord » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:12 am

{{And the conclusion}}

Jack Wright reckoned to walk the long way home. Always busy at work, these days, and lately worse than usual. And of course they was lucky to have a snug little apartment high up in a new block in the Cathedral district. Wouldn’t have had it, neither, except Molly’s auntie Rita worked for them Inquisitors in the Cathedral. And it was undeniably close to the docks and work. But with three active young’uns the apartment felt very small at times, and soon as he got back it’d be “C’n you take the young’uns out to the park, Jack, so’s I c’n get a bit of peace?”

The warehouse district was always a good way to walk. Often things around to see, sometimes a few bits of stuff that weren’t no good for selling but could be made into toys for the young’uns. The guards were usually friendly, and sometimes they’d swap a tale or two from adventuring days. This time, though – he smelled smoke, and walked faster. Not running, yet, wasn’t no outcry, but faster. No guards to be seen at the moment, either, which was odd. A doorway billowed smoke, not fire just yet but thick grey smoke. A bucket was right next to the door, which was lucky. He grabbed the bucket and filled it in the canal, then threw the water into the doorway. A few more times, and the smoke seemed mostly out. Just a small fire then, but lots of smoke for it.

Jack looked curiously in through the door. Just a couple crates, looked like. One was half ripped open. He moved closer, looking in. Foreign stuff, from the looks. Looked primitive. Nothing like anything he’d seen before. Some papers on the top, bit scorched but OK. He bent to read them. Maybe he could work out who this stuff belonged to and maybe even get a reward for putting the fire out. As he picked up the top sheet, though, it exposed a glossy magazine. Not the usual kind that you could get in Old Town, no, this one featured demons. Jack had never thought of himself as a religious or Light-fearing man, no more than anyone else. But this – this was something else, beyond all decency. The Cathedral had to know about this and the sooner the better.

He never looked up. Even if he had, he wouldn’t have seen the rogue and imp looking down from the rooftop. Another paycheck well and truly earned, thought Willa. She’d done right to wait for this human to pass before setting the fire.

Later, Rita’s impeccable handwriting would chronicle the haul from the warehouse:

Item: bills of lading for 2 crates of trollish antiquities, made out to Ser Bricu Bittertongue
Item: one and one-half crates of trollish antiquities, mostly of the scurrilous sort
Item: 24 copies of a magazine called PlayDemon. Obscene publication featuring succubi in lewd poses. Also some nude humans, imps, and voidwalkers.
0 x