Question on Permissions

A place for learning how to use the PHPBB features of this forum, creating test posts, and so forth. VISIBILITY: Public
Conn
General
General

Question on Permissions

Post by Conn » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:18 pm

Bregs,

With the active spammers trying to get in, do you want the General category (and subforums) to be completely Public, or visible to approved users (don't need to be guild members, associates, etc.; just approved users) only?

I started to change permissions after banning emails, then IPs, then subsequently deleting 27 spam accounts that have tried registering in the past two weeks. My brain kicked in before I finished though and I reverted what I'd changed to get your approval first.
0 x

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question on Permissions

Post by admin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:36 pm

Regarding privacy of posts:

I generally would prefer our "public" posts to be public so that they can be picked up by Google, etc. That's how we had it on GuildPortal from the beginning. But I am open to suggestion. We could make the RP forum private, or the General forums private, or both. (The only other public forum is the Mythic raiding one which we're not using.)

(To clarify, all three General forums are public -- General, UDM in Other Realms, Forum Tech.)

Regarding spammers:

Yeah, we've had a lot more spammers recently -- and annoying e-mails from them to the admin account (which is just you and me currently, Conn). Fortunately since accounts are only activated for posting and viewing after an Admin approves, everyone else has not seen that.

Just now I switched the catchpa to Google's, let's see if that helps.
0 x

Conn
General
General

Post by Conn » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:11 pm

One idea for allowing Google and such to keep targeting while keeping anonymous eyes off might be to allow the bots group, but restrict the newly registered users, guests, and anonymous.

Mainly it'll help in case our lovely spammers from the Ukraine, Russia, China, Singapore, India, Lithuania, Germany, and probably another I can't remember, all decide to start reading before they blanket join. We give quite a bit of hobbies, likes, etc. in our general posts that could be used to tailor their attempts better.

Regarding the email, I don't think I've been getting any. No private messages, and none to my personal email. Not that I'm unhappy about not receiving spam email from them, but is that a bug?

Edit: Sorry about not doing the captcha myself back when I first brought up the idea. No good excuse except work, life, liberty, truth and justice for all.
0 x

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Looks like it was only being sent to the admin e-mail address, which is not yours, so you're free fro that scourge.

We had a Captcha from the beginning, but I just changed to a harder one is all.

I don't think there's a way to allow Google/bots in but make anonymous spammers not see. For bots to be enabled to view, public has to as well (if I read the permissions tree correctly).

Should we generally just go private?

End users haven't seen any spam, so it's really just a privacy question.
0 x

Vivimord
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Vivimord » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:56 am

Personally I like having things on public. The RP forum, in particular, as I've recently shared that little ice cream story I posted around to a couple of people. :0)
0 x