New Expansion: Battle for Azeroth(possible spoilers)

General discussion forum for both Umbral Advent members and non-members. VISIBILITY: Public
Zugdaga
Grunt
Grunt

Re: New Expansion: Battle for Azeroth(possible spoilers)

Post by Zugdaga » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:21 pm

So, what've I missed that is causing Anduin to lead an assault force against Lordaeron? I thought he was more peace-friendly than Varian had been, but I admittedly tend not to pick up on most of the plot as much as I'd like to.
0 x
I have several patented maneuvers. I don't recommend any of them.

Kunikiko
Champion
Champion

Post by Kunikiko » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:52 pm

I don't think it's been explicitly spelled out yet Zug. Most likely it's due to the influence of Greymane or the Horse struck first with the burning of Teldrassil. But yeah, as a priest, Anduin is definitely more of a lover than a fighter.
0 x

Vivimord
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Vivimord » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:24 pm

A combination of Genn and Jaina's influence on him, probably. And I bet it happens after Teldrassil is burned. They tried to be coy about which occurred first at Blizzcon, but I doubt it would be the other way around.
0 x

Kunikiko
Champion
Champion

Post by Kunikiko » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:20 pm

I'll be honest, I really hope the burning of Teldrassil isn't a straight up act of again from the Horde. An unfortunately necessary act, retaliation, a misunderstanding, I can deal with those. But I'd be really bummed out if Sylvanas was just like "Hey, those uppity elves and their stupid tree suck. Let's burn that shit!"

Burning Teldrassil seems like something that would be bad for everyone, not just the Night Elves.
0 x

Ribcrack
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Ribcrack » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:51 pm

my guess is teldrassil is some sort of vessel for old god corruption - perhaps the emerald nightmare has infected it beyond saving. Sylvanas becomes aware of this, thinks TWO BIRDS ONE STONE BABY and burns it while communicating reasons *very poorly*, thus sparking a war.
0 x

Kunikiko
Champion
Champion

Post by Kunikiko » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Yeah, I'd be ok with that. I've been told, however, that Teldrassil has been cleansed of corruption before and that it would be unlikely or lazy writing(cough) too corrupt it again.

Also, Ilgynoth had some fun whispers that could hint towards what will be happening in the next expansion.
0 x

Ottoparts
Champion
Champion

Post by Ottoparts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:23 am

I can't stop watching the video, and really really want to roll a banshee class....dammit...anyone else notice they had a stunt double for anduin in there? When exactly did he become prince charming from shrek? I'm hoping this time we get to vilify an alliance leader, it isn't likely. The back story I want to hear is why the ally get void elves, wouldn't that be sylvanas's sister turned against her?
0 x

Vivimord
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Vivimord » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:22 am

Ottoparts wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:23 am
The back story I want to hear is why the ally get void elves, wouldn't that be sylvanas's sister turned against her?
Yeah, but that's nothing new. See: Vereesa Windrunner.
0 x

Kunikiko
Champion
Champion

Post by Kunikiko » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 am

The story I've heard is that the Void Elves are outcasts from Silvermoon. Alleria heard about them and wants to guide them to safely use void magic.
0 x

Bladebreaker
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Bladebreaker » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 am

Agreed with points above that I hope there is a Reason for Teldrassil to be burned, and not a Garrosh-esque "THEY ARE VULNERABLE, ATTACK!" reason. Honestly, I had originally thought that things would be the other way around than what's suggested above; Genn and Jaina convince Anduin to siege Lordaeron first, and this triggers a retaliation that results in the burning of Teldrassil. But y'all are right, a sensible order would be Teldrassil first. Corruption strikes me as most likely, regardless of past cleansing efforts. I could imagine an Arthas-burning-Stratholme-like scenario, where Horde leaders are convinced that it must be destroyed for the greater good, perhaps not giving time for those already there to evacuate. Even if it WERE arguably necessary, something like that could easily trigger a war.

Just doubling down on earlier comments, while I think it's sad to think of the loss of whole zones that we 'grew up with', I think it's also possible to view it as opportunities for growth. Where are the Night Elves and Forsaken going to be housed? What are those new places going to be like? I know a lot of people disagree but I was glad for the Cataclysm rework of the original world, I was ready to move on to new stuff.
1 x